That headline is a bad joke but had to be said. Still, it’s true, since Disney introduced upscale lodgings for the family pet with the Best Friends Pet Care Resort. Humans should be so lucky. The company’s five existing smaller kennels at Walt Disney World Resort will be phased out.
The new furry resort will have:
- More than 50,000 square feet of space – 17,000 air-conditioned and 10,000 covered outdoor runs
- Room for 270 dogs and 30 cats with overnight facilities
- 48-square-foot indoor-outdoor suites and four expansive VIP suites with television, raised bedding and private outdoor yards
- A “Kitty City” pavilion – no view of the dogs – with two- and four-room condos “designed to provide comfort and privacy”
- A special facility for “pocket pets,” such as hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, and ferrets
- Grooming salon for “go-home-fresh baths and haircuts for pets”
- Two 1,100-square-foot rooms for play groups and doggy day camp
- A 3,300-square-foot area with artificial turf, a 4,500-square-foot area with shade trees, and a 1,300-square-foot canines-only water park
- A la carte activities (pay extra) for dogs include one-on-one playtime, social playgroups, cuddle time, bedtime stories, ice cream treats, bottled water, or premium/orthopedic bedding
- A la carte feline guests can enjoy private playtimes, in-suite activity toys, or treats such as cookies and milk or tuna on a Ritz
“Our goal is to ensure that pets staying with us have a fun, action-packed vacation – just like their families vacationing at Walt Disney World,” says said Dennis Dolan, president and CEO of Best Friends Pet Care.
The pet resort is located across from Disney’s Port Orleans Resort at 2510 Bonnet Creek Parkway in Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830. Pricing and other details are available at wdw.bestfriendspetcare.com or by calling 877/4-WDW-PETS.